In the United States we’re celebrating our Thanksgiving holiday this week. Following turkey dinners and visiting family is Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The super-mega-giant-retailer Wal-Mart has numerous early bird specials and Black Friday deals. Believe it or not, you can find gifts for film photographers at very reasonable prices. Plus, many items can shipped to the store and picked it up at your convenience. I like this option because then I don’t worry about a package sitting on my doorstep all day in the snow and cold while I’m at work.
Here are five gifts you can buy online from Wal-Mart for a film photographer for under thirty bucks:
1. 35mm FujiFilm, $8.70 – $12.41. This 200 and 400 speed film is perfect for testing that vintage camera you found at the top of the closet, bought at a thrift store, or on eBay. It’s cheap, it’s dependable, and convenient to send off for developing.
2. Impossible Film $22.95. Though it’s carried on Wal-Mart’s website, it’s supplied and shipped through Cameta Camera. They carry a wide selection of Impossible SX-70 and 600-Type films. For a few dollars more you can buy Impossible Film in multiple packs, or multiple packs with lens cleaning cloths. Note: these are item that must be shipped directly to you.
3. Rocket blower and cleaning supplies, $13.95. Keep your lenses and cameras clean with the Giottos Rocket Blower. This Rocket Blower is the most popular on the market because you can stand it up on a flat surface. This kit is sold and shipped through Cameta and includes lens cleaning solution and those useless lens tissues.
4. Camera bag, $13.73. The Case Logic DCB-304 is big enough for your film SLR and lens. What do you do with all those pockets labeled for memory cards and cables? Re-purpose them for film, filters, and more film! This best-selling bag is a great price and perfect for a photowalk. You can pick this item up at the store or have it shipped from eBags.
5. Stackable hardcase, $24.48. The Apecase Lightweight Stable Case includes egg-crate foam to protect your gear. These cases can be stacked, locked, and will carry your smaller camera gear. And the case is small enough to carry on a flight, 10.2” x 3” x 8.2”.
Have a great Thanksgiving, enjoy your time with family and loved ones, and if you’re shopping this Friday, be safe.